The annual Sunday Times Sports Rich list names Lewis Hamilton the richest sportsperson in the UK. The publication which has charted UK richest’s fortunes since 1989, reports that the Mercedes driver’s fortune rose by £25million from 2016. His former McLaren team-mate, Jenson Button is 4th on the list.
1. Lewis Hamilton, Motor Racing, 2017 wealth £131m, up £25m
2. Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Football, 2017 wealth £110m, new entry
3. Wayne Rooney, Football, 2017 wealth £93m, up £11m
4. Jenson Button, Motor Racing, 2017 wealth £86m, up £9m
5. Rory McIlroy, Golf, 2017 wealth £82m, up £26m
6. Sir Andy Murray, Tennis, 2017 wealth £77m, up £20m
7. Jose Mourinho, Football, 2017 wealth £61m, up £11m
8. Gareth Bale, Football, 2017 wealth £54m, up £20m
9= Luol Deng, Basketball, 2017 wealth £50m, up £7m
9= Pep Guardiola, Football, 2017 wealth £50m, new entry
In the wider motorsport/driving world, Bernie Ecclestone’s wealth stands at £2.5bn, Ron Dennis £450m, and Toto and Susie Wolff £240m.
Note: Individuals’ wealth is estimated from a range of public information and excludes bank accounts.